Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Down Rwandan Roads

I am here! I arrived in Kigali safely and all in one piece. I feel like I've stepped into another world. There are so many thoughts and feelings I don't know where to begin! Then there is this issue with the electricity. Some days it is fine; some days it is on and off all day. As goes the power, so goes the internet connection. So my posts will have to be kept brief for a better chance of getting them up here!
This place is a strange mixture of progress, beauty, and poverty. Everything is built on hills surrounded by more hills. The roads in the main part of the city are paved, then turn into stone and then red dirt as you go up to Chuck and Debby's neighborhood. All the houses are surrounded by high walls. Because of this they say you don't really get to know your neighbors; instead you meet people out and about and then find out where they live. The walls are to prevent thievery. The street kids and others who are struggling to survive will pick up anything they can find and get away with. But they are not out to hurt anyone, they simply want to survive. Most people also have watchmen, especially at night, which discourages anyone from sneaking in. The weather is amazing, coming from cold Ohio! It gets down to the 60s some mornings and up in the 70s and 80's by afternoon. everything is so different here. I will do my best to keep you all posted but as I said internet availability is touch and go. So long for now and thanks for the prayers!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kari! I'm glad to hear you got several hours of good sleep, last night! I've been waking up in the middle of the night and find I'm unable to go back to sleep. Yesterday afternoon, I put on my stadium coat, headband wrap, and gloves and went for a walk. It was invigorating at 47 degrees, and I found myself doing intervals of jogging. No pain! I'd love to be able to go walking about Kigali with you! I think the homes here have high walls around them, too, only they are invisable walls. Walls of privacy and independence and pride. Keep shining! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kari I am so happy you got to Rwandan safe in sound I have been praying for you:) I have heard that electricity in those parts is not to dependable we are so spoiled here. I am going to very excited to hear your adventures in helping to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Tell the Baldwins I said hello its so nice that they are taking you in for awhile. Take care Kari remember we all love you at Bristolville Church Of The Breathern
    Love Sandra Ebie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari,
    Hi I am glad to hear you got there safe and sound.Sounds like your not going to miss Ohio weather at all.LOL..We are going to have snow and rain mixed over the next few days,so enjoy the weather while you can.
    Kari, I am so happy that you followed your heart and know what the Lord wants for you to do.You are a blessing here and you sure will be one there also.Keep looking up.He has so much for you to do!!

    Hugs,
    Chris Huff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari,
    I'm so glad your mom sent me this link! I've read all of your entries and am looking forward to following your journey online as well as being in prayer for you. My daughter was very affected by her stay in Guyana last year as I know you will be also there in Rwanda. Blessings,
    Cindy White ("keithslady")

    ReplyDelete