Saturday, October 24, 2009

African Melodies

Kigali is alive with sounds. It's not what we are used to in American cities. Yes, there is traffic noise, but as you go higher up the hills away from the center of town, that becomes muffled. You can hear children playing and laughing almost any time of the day. Add to that other sounds of activity, such as hammering, chipping, conversations: the Rwandan people seem to thrive on social life. I see people hanging around, often in groups, talking on the city streets or around houses. They are also big into loud. Meaning whatever is going on, a church service, a soccer game, a wedding, the radio.... they like it loud! At different times I can hear singing, speaking, clapping, cheering from places somewhere in the valley or in the neighborhood. If it's quiet enough or I'm near a window, I hear the Muslim prayer call, which goes out several times during the day. It's a hauntingly beautiful melody, and yet saddening to realize how so many people are led astray by the Muslim religion in our world. Today there is a wedding celebration going on at a house above us. You can't see much of things going on inside the compounds because of the high walls everywhere, but we can see the pointed tops of the tents they rent for such events. We have been hearing speaking, music, and conversation for several hours. Chuck and Debby said that this is the quietest celebration they've ever heard in all the African countries they've been. I guess they are usually much noisier. And they would often go on for several days! I'm not sure if they do that here; I guess I'll find out. It sounds so festive, though. It would be interesting to see what goes on there. They usually have their weddings on the weekends. Then you have the music of nature. The birds are in abundance and their songs are brighter and more musical than the ones I'm used to at home. And at night... there is something we suspect is a frog that sounds just like blowing bubbles in milk with a straw! Oh, and there are roosters and dogs everywhere and sometimes I can hear cows and occasionally the bleating of a goat. I wish I could capture the sounds for people at home to hear, but you will just have to imagine it. I like to just listen sometimes, especially when I'm looking out over the city at night, over the lights dotting the valley and then twinkling up the hills like living things. To be honest I prefer the quiet and space of the country. But Kigali really is a neat city and unique in the melody it makes. Take some time today to stop and listen to the music around you. It does something good for your heart.

1 comment:

  1. Kari, your descriptions enable me to "see" what you're seeing! It sounds quite fascinating...I'm glad you are enjoying all of it.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Love, Aunt Angie

    ReplyDelete