Saturday, February 22, 2014

Don't Act Your Age

"Act your age, not your shoe size!"  Have you ever heard this phrase?  I was talking to a coworker the other day, and upon finding out that I am celebrating my birthday this weekend, he asked how old I'd be.  He was surprised to discover I am much older than I look!  He then proceeded to ask me to guess his age, which I actually got almost right on.  Guessing ages is a tricky thing.  Some people look their age, and some don't.  I know people who look much older than they are.  Sometimes this is due to certain lifestyle choices, such as smoking or excessive tanning.  Sometimes it is because of health issues or stress.  It can even be the way they dress and wear makeup.  I also know people, say in their 50's, who look younger but physically act their age, or older!  Old age can take it's toll much faster if we choose things like unhealthy diet, a sedentary lifestyle, internalizing stress, or negativity.

As much as I want to be forever young, I can't stop the clock on biological aging.  But I have decided that I am NOT going to act my age....not even when I'm 50!  This is not an excuse to act childish, but rather a quest to rediscover child-likeness.  Jesus Himself said, Unless you become like a child, you cannot enter the kingdom of Heaven!

I've been listening to Chris August lately, and he wrote a song called 1989.  It talks about how life was carefree and uncomplicated when he was seven years old.  How it was to live in childlike faith.  And how he wants to go back to living that way.  I realized that I was six years old in 1989.  I'm not one of those people who can remember a lot of their childhood with clarity.  I remember bits and pieces, sometimes the most random and weird things!  I can't say I really remember what it was like being six.  But I know life sure seemed simpler.  And a lot more fun.  I still find ways to have some great fun, but we know that's not what life is all about.  But what if we could recapture the wonder of a child?

These days God is drawing me back to learn how to be a kid again.  I think He wants us to have that kind of wonder at Him and the things He has made.  If I take the time to slow down and fully experience the simple things, the little everyday gifts in life....I begin to find that wonder again.

Things like being mesmerized by snowflakes falling sparkly in the streetlight after dark.  Laughing at squirrels chasing each other up and down trees.  Dancing crazy to happy music.  Hugging a giant tree just to see how far my arms reach.  Making a snow angel on a walk through the woods.  Walking out giant hearts with my footprints in the snow in the park.  Diving onto a queen bed.  Twirling in circles at the bowling alley with my little brother.  And the other day, I discovered polymer sand....I spent an hour or more playing with it while talking with my friend....squeezing, squishing, letting it drop through my fingers....it's the coolest stuff ever!  And we laughed and had the best time entertaining ourselves with this simple plaything!

I'm learning that when I slow down and live fully in the moment....when I take time to look and count all the gifts God has poured out on the day and to give thanks....when I find delight in the simple things, even childish things....when I let myself linger and wonder at the things God created and the ways He reveals Himself all around me...it brings back an unadulterated joy and pleasure that feels a little bit like being a kid again!

I think Jesus said we must become like a child because only children have the eyes to see God.  And only children can trust without reservation.

"It is so uncomplicated with You here....you make the person that I once was reappear
I'm sorry that I made it something complicated
I am ready now, it's not too late
Everyday I'm learning it's all about returning
I'm living my life with childlike faith.....like I could
Turn back time and go to 1989
Where every day was full of chasin dreams
Yeah I may be grown up but maybe I should try
Livin like it's 1989"

From 1989 by Chris Augustt

No comments:

Post a Comment