Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Butterflies and Reptiles

These past four months have been a time of reckoning in my life. God began to break me over my sin of pride, discontent, and judgmentalism and gave me a new freedom in my thought life from the fantasy habit that has held me in bondage for so long. But during the last month I have looked back and taken my eyes and affection off my Lover King, the only one who is worthy of my deepest affection and intimacy. I have been choosing to surrender to the enemy rather than stay alert and fight the battle. In desperation I maintain that I cannot go back to the bondage I was in before; I know too well the misery it has brought me. My eyes are more opened to the cost of following Jesus, but also the cost of turning back. I have vowed to do whatever it takes to love Him and follow Him. He is still pursuing me, even while I am pursuing competing affections. The deepest purpose of my heart is that I will not walk away from Him, and I believe He has sealed me so that I cannot. Still there are many fears and much unbrokenness holding me back. Too many times I allow pride to keep me from going to someone else for support and accountability in my battles. I allow fear to keep me from loving in ways that people might think are crazy. I allow the crunch of daily life to drown my desire for intimacy with Jesus. And these only drive me back to my old methods of escape, seeking to fill the relationship void with fantasy relationships, romance, and adventure. Or by losing myself in a book or movie. Life with Jesus is a marathon, but here I am still trying to run the 100 yard dash. Just get over this hump and it'll be smooth sailing. I find myself acquiescing to the hopelessness and wanting to give up after just four months. But what is four months in God's time frame? What is a lifetime to Him, when a thousand years is as one day? Conclusion: it's too soon to quit. And I'm so thrilled by what my amazing Lord showed me today that I want to share it with you! My King of Love has, once again, come to my rescue. I'm sitting there with my journal, bringing my compromises before Him and wondering if I can reclaim the freedom He gave such a short time ago. Suddenly the thought hits me: Butterflies! Yes, butterflies! And I realize that everything in God's creation means something. It's more than just an array of amazing, unique, and diverse creatures. If we have eyes to see and ears to hear, they teach us something about ourselves and our God. So here it is: the truth of transformation. We know the Bible says that if any man is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things are gone; everything has been made new. So why then are we so deeply entrenched in the struggle with dead flesh? Okay, so everybody knows that when the caterpillar is ready to come out of his cocoon, he is already a butterfly. God did the miracle; He made the transformation. The caterpillar couldn't have done it through any struggle of his own. But... have you heard about the fierce struggle the butterfly must undergo to break out of the cocoon? Do you know that if someone comes along, sees the poor thing struggling so bitterly, and simply snips the threads to allow the butterfly to emerge easily, that butterfly will never be able to fly? And that is a pretty effective death sentence, I believe. See, it is in the struggle of breaking the cocoon that the butterfly gets the strength in his wings to soar. That is what makes the blood flow through his veins and bring the crumpled wings to life. He is already a new creature, but now he must fight and labor to break into the freedom of the new life that is his. Even this is not his own doing. Yes, he must struggle, but he can only do this because his Creator gave him what it takes to break out. Are you seeing the connection? Battle and struggle doesn't mean we are not changed. God's word is truth; if you and I are reborn in Christ, we are a new creation. But like the butterfly, we will fight and struggle to break the shell of the old life, and only in this do we receive the strength to soar. Our Redeemer has given us what it takes to fight. And through the battle He is bringing us into the maturity it takes to fly. So don't lose hope in the thick of the fight! It is a sign of new life! Also consider the reptiles; a snake is one that I know of that sheds its skin as it grows. I have often seen my spiritual life as a hamster in a wheel, running round and round in circles, trying to climb higher and never getting anywhere. I think that is what happens when we are enslaved to a particular bondage. But when the Son sets you free, you are free indeed! I am getting the idea that walking in freedom means more battles, not less. But now I must see it as a shedding of the old skin. I grow a little; my spiritual skin becomes too old and small. It must split and shed. Then I grow a little more, and again the skin must split and shed. But each time, I shed a little more of the old dead flesh, and I grow to look a little more like Christ. We may get our focus entangled in the seemingly endless layers of dead skin, but God's work is advancing! That is why He's been stressing to me so much lately the importance of looking at Him. As long as I'm looking at myself or anything around me, ie; the wind and the waves, I flounder and sink. But all the time He is right there, waiting to take me for a stroll on the water! Isn't that incredible?! His love is more than I can stand; I can't understand how or why He loves me that much, to keep on pursuing and calling and showing me kindness and giving me deeper revelations of Himself! But that is Who He is! In my flesh I am weak and prone to wander; I falter before the enemy. But in Christ I am more than a conqueror; I am His chosen, redeemed, justified, beautiful bride! And He is my strong, brave, gentle Shepherd and Warrior and Lover who never changes and never stops longing for me to find my full satisfaction in Him! It amazes me every time how He can so quickly pull me out of my self-imposed pit and set me back on the Rock. Why do I flounder alone so long before turning to Him? I don't know; you tell me. But He loves me! He loves me! He loves me! And HE loves you.... with an EVERLASTING love! That means forever! That means no matter what! That means He will never give up on you! Let us cry out to be overtaken and consumed by this love, that we may freely give our all back to Him and become His agents without fear in this dark and broken world!

1 comment:

  1. It has been a blessing to read your thoughts and your struggles, as I am going through similar experiences. I think that we can only handle so much growth at one time. At a certain point we just become saturated with the Holy Spirit and we just need some time to let it sink in. Life with Jesus is a marathon, but even the best athletes need to rest and refule at a certain point. Is this a time where you need to let the living water sink in and let the bread of life nourish your weary soul?

    ReplyDelete