Thursday, November 12, 2009

All God's Children

One the things I really hoped to do in Rwanda was to visit an orphanage and spend time with the kids, especially little ones. I had an unexpected opportunity last week!
Debby and I went to a church that has been doing a feeding program for street boys. This is something Chuck and Debby observed and documented when they visited Rwanda over a year ago, and it was these kids who really pulled their hearts to come and work here. They showed video of the kids being fed in their supporting churches in the States, and everybody was touched by it. But they have not actually been able to be involved with this program since they've moved here. At first the church was feeding over a hundred kids of all ages. But they have changed their system. Now they are choosing to feed a smaller group so that they can do more for them, rather than giving less to a large group. So now they feed about 85 boys and they are all older. They are trying to minister more effectively to this group, especially to the boys who are acting as leaders for groups of orphans. Many of them live together in houses that have been provided. The church hopes to support and influence these leaders so that they in turn can influence the other boys more positively. I am not sure what happened to the younger children they were feeding before. Another difference is that missions groups have been constantly coming in to participate in this feeding program, and the Baldwins felt that if they tried to be involved, they would take away from the groups being able to feel that they are doing everything. So they have mostly stayed out of this ministry. But I really wanted to see it and so we planned to go on a certain day when we thought there wasn't going to be a group there.


Here the ladies are cooking food. They spend a couple hours on this beforehand, and I think part of it is done the night before. They feed these boys twice a week. They had a huge pot of rice, a huge pot of beans, and a huge pot of fried potato chunks. They make a fish sauce for the rice and beans. There are actual tiny dried fish in it. They let me help fill the plates. We did it assembly line style. Then the plates were loaded in large basins and taken over to the building where the boys eat.
While we were still waiting for the meal to be ready, a van pulled up and out came this group from Canada that was not supposed to be coming that day! They came in to meet us and we found out that they are here working with an orphanage which they have been supporting. When they heard that I wanted to visit an orphanage, they invited me to come along with them that afternoon, as they were heading back there to start a project after the feeding program. When the food was ready and the boys arrived, everybody pitched in to help serve or mingle with the boys.






Everyone wanted their picture taken while they were eating! Afterwords they all wanted to show off for the camera.






These little boys are not officially part of the group that comes to eat, but they were hanging around outside the gates and they were hungry.

I decided to take the Canadian group up on their offer, so when we were finished at the church, I piled in the van with them and we headed for the orphanage. But first we had to stop for some supplies. They are building a playset for the kids. So we had to get tools, lumber and cement. Finally we arrived at the home. The truck carrying this huge load of lumber tied on top had already arrived and some of the kids were helping to carry the pieces down to the place where they were going to build.


Meanwhile, someone took me inside to see the babies!




It really seemed like a decent place. After awhile I went outside and hung out with a couple kids; then we walked down to join everyone else at the building site.


Sawing boards.


Digging post holes.


A bunch of girls found a willing victim to practice their hairdressing skills on! I can't even remember this lady's name, but she endured with the patience of Job! And all the while she had a little one cuddled in her lap. To be honest, I'm glad it wasn't me with all those fingers in my hair! I think they would have tried, though, if I'd sat down long enough!

The kids were just adorable and so excited! I took tons of pictures. Here are just a few.









The guys sinking one of the posts for the playground.


This was my little buddy. I held him for quite awhile, but he's a chunk! He's probably 3 years old. When I put him down he just sat quietly and watched all the activity. He was the most sober little thing; never cracked a smile or said a word. I wonder what he was thinking. I wonder what life is like for him. I wonder if he feels loved.

I am so glad I got the chance to meet this group, even though we had tried to avoid being with them at the feeding program. They are the sweetest people with big hearts and it was so neat to just go off with them and feel like part of their group for the day! The kids were beautiful and I know this home is a good place. I can't remember any of their names and I may never see them again, but God knows every one of them by heart. Thank you God for the privilege of seeing You in the face of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment