Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Romania: Our Doings and Celebrations

Now that I've been here several weeks, Romania is beginning to feel a bit more like home.

Life here is not so different from America, but it does take some getting used to, and it has been a great learning experience so far.  We've had some highlights and celebrations in the last couple weeks, and I thought you would enjoy a peak at life in our little nest.

We celebrated Chili Bean's third birthday.  The hats were endured, but the treats were a huge hit!



Chili is the one is the pink hat.  Snoopy is her mom.  She seemed less than thrilled to celebrate her baby's birthday.  


This past Sunday, I was blessed to be part of a special event in one of the girls' lives.  Rachel (name changed for security purposes) was baptized into Christ, along with 29 other believers!  The wonderful evangelical church they attend makes a beautiful celebration out of this step of faith.  They held a special service in a pretty location.  Each emergence from the water was met with joyful song and applause.  The radiant smiles on the faces of those baptized was the most beautiful thing of all!


With Rachel before the service


Me and my girls!


Buried with Him in death....raised with Him to new life!  She has the most beautiful smile!


Beyond this, I am learning a little of the Romanian language, with the help of Ana (name changed), who is a willing and encouraging teacher.  I am helping her to grow in English vocabulary and comprehension as we are reading Bible stories together in English.  We have a lot of fun with this!

I've also enjoyed attending the Friday night youth church with the girls and taking part in a special craft day with the ladies of the church to help raise money for their new building.  It is a vibrant and growing church body, so they are needing to expand their facilities.  

Once a week, I go with a small group of missionaries and volunteers to a mental hospital quite a ways outside the city.  This is a ministry I was introduced to on my first visit to Romania, and now I get to be involved again.  We go in to to bring some sunshine to the residents.  We'll do some kind of simple craft or activity with them, sing some of their favorite songs, and supply plenty of snacks.  It is something they look forward to every week.  The lady who oversees this ministry has been going in for many years and by God's grace has been able to help facilitate significant improvements to the hospital.

As with all of life, some days here are pleasant and meaningful, while other days I feel down, listless, and weary.  One day I can feel a great sense of purpose in being here, and the next day it feels pointless.  And in the midst of it all, God's grace remains sufficient!  He continues to teach me to fix my eyes on Him for the strength to walk on the waves rather than tangling myself in the tide of my emotions and human understanding.  His thoughts are infinitely higher than mine, and His ways are astonishingly greater than I can fathom!  The prayer of my heart is to press deeper into Him each day He allows me to be here and wherever He leads me after that.  If you pray for me, ask Jesus to give me the grace to grow in surrender to the flow of His life, and that all who encounter me will encounter Him.  Let all the glory and honor and praise go to Him!

May your souls grow and prosper in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment