Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mochria


Today I went with a group to Mochria, which is an adult mental institution, about an hour's drive from this city.  One of the missionaries has been in Romania for many years, and this is one of the many ministries she has started.  The first time they visited Mochria, conditions there were terrible.  There were two very old shower heads and only cold water for all the residents.  Their food storehouse was nearly empty.  The group kept going back, taking food and other things to help ease the misery somewhat.  After some time they were able to build a good relationship with the staff and work together with them to make improvements.  Now each time they go, things look better.  A group goes in once a week to spend time and do an activity with the residents.  Today we had Scott and Carolyn (the couple I'm staying with), E, one of their Romanian girls (name omitted for privacy), Bogdan, who has worked with them for many years as a translator, Irene from Wales who runs a charitable foundation, and myself.

As soon as we arrived, people were waving and calling to us out of the windows!  We set out a simple craft for them to do and then went into the building to gather everyone who wanted to participate.  Some of the women were so excited as they came out of their rooms, and they wanted to grab my hand and hug me and know my name.  Once we got everyone settled in for the craft, we passed out cups and began serving them juice and water.  Scott told me they don't get water or much to drink on a daily basis, so we always bring plenty of liquids and keep on refilling the cups. 

Some of the residents there are not very "with it", but others are bright and responsive.  They participated very well.  A few of them know a little English.  All the others in my group speak at least some Romanian, so they helped people with their craft.  I just kept handing out drinks and cookies and smiles.  These precious souls are so starved for attention.  Most of them are older, but one girl was there who the missionaries have not seen before.  She is only twenty. 

Later on, we sang a few songs with them, and then many of them wanted to take turns sharing their own song in front of the group.  It was beautiful to watch them sing, and then to take turns praying after that.  Simple and sweet, like little children.  As we were getting ready to leave, I helped walk some of the women back to their building, and we gave them little packets of coffee, which is a real treat for them.  A few who spoke some English were saying, "God bless you", and thanking us for coming.  It was touching.  I don't know much about what their lives are like there, but I'm sure it is hard.  Yet they were so grateful that we came and wanted to bless us.

I'm looking forward to going back next week.  It makes me think....I'm so glad that other Christians cared enough to seek out such a place and do what they could to make life better for these forgotten people.  I greatly enjoyed my time with them.  But I wonder, if I had been the one to come in the beginning and see the state Mochria was in then, would I have done something?  Would I have seen these people through the eyes of love, as having incredible worth, and would I have labored and advocated on their behalf?  Or would I have thought it was too much to deal with, that I wouldn't know how to begin?  Would I have just felt sad for them and then went away and put it out of my mind?  These are tough questions.  I wonder what opportunities there are now, even right around me where I live, to walk out the love of Jesus to people in need....to advocate for those who are oppressed, to help those who seem to be in hopeless bondage, to care for the least and give them a better life and hope.  Do I see them?  Am I willing to step up?  Because it will take a lot of exchange....trading my comfort zones for the greater good of others, trading my pleasures and pursuits for the work of God's kingdom on earth, changing where I invest my time and energy, trading self-interest for loving strangers and sometimes very unlovely individuals.  The Bible makes it clear that God has given us the love we need.  "And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."  Romans 5:5
So I pray that God tears down the walls of protection, pride, and isolation that self has built in my heart.  I pray that He makes my heart as tender as His towards the "least" of His children, who are actually the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.  These are the ones that Jesus identified Himself with, saying that whatever we do to them, we are also doing to Him.  I pray that I will not continue to pass Him by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment