Tuesday, August 24, 2010

One Who Knows

Now I am going to do something extraordinary and write two posts in one day! This is me trying to make up for lost time. We ought to be compelled to share what God is showing us, but to be honest, most of the time I keep it to myself. I have found, though, that when I share these treasures with someone else, it multiplies the positive charge in my own heart. God's Word has so much to say about telling God's wonderful works and publicly praising Who He is. That is our testimony: what we have seen and heard, what Christ has done for us. A blog can be a great way to spread His fame!

As I have been recently faced with my own utter depravity and so often swimming in that filth, unable to see past myself, God is gently and persistently opening my eyes. I've had days where I just went off by myself and cried, feeling overwhelmed by the belief that nobody really has a clue how much I'm hurting or could understand why if I tried to tell them. That is the most lonely feeling on earth: that no one knows or understands my pain. I recently came across this awesome poem by John Newton, the man who wrote Amazing Grace.

I asked the Lord that I might grow in faith, and love, and every grace
Might more of His salvation know and seek more earnestly His face
Twas He who taught me thus to pray and He, I trust, has answered prayer
but it has been in such a way as almost drove me to despair
I hoped that in some favored hour at once He'd answer my request
And by His love's constraining power subdue my sins and give me rest
Instead of this, He made me feel the hidden evils of my heart
And let the angry powers of hell assault my soul in every part
"Lord, why is this?" I trembling cried. "Wilt Thou pursue Thy worm to death?"
"Tis in this way", the Lord replied, "I answer prayer for grace and faith".

This helped me to know that my situation is not so unique; others have known this darkness; Newton certainly did. But do you know what God spoke to me? Someone greater than Newton has known my darkness. "Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows. The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed." Is. 53 I have known these lines by heart since I was a little girl. But they never hit me like they do now. What did I know of grief and sorrow as a child? I never imagined the pain within could be so great. I was blind to the depths of my own wickedness. I used to think I knew the answers and I had it made! But now, to hear those words about Jesus...He felt every agony and torment of my sin in its entirety, and He carried it willingly. He received the wounds so I could be healed. He entered the darkness of separation from the Father so I could know His love and joy forever. He became sin so that I could become the very righteousness of God! Oh, to forever hide myself in those wounds! They are my wholeness and my life. He knows. It was all for love. You and I do not walk this road alone.

How could I ever say thank you, when the whole of this life's not enough
Though I offer each breath back in worship, it never can match your great love!

How could I ever repay you; you laid aside heaven for me
You came to the earth its Creator, incarnate, to set sinners free

So great are your ways, such encompassing grace
Love that reaches beyond each defense
Your mercy disarms the most broken of hearts
Such complete and profound faithfulness

How could I thank You?

From the album I Belong by Katherine Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment